After big brands pulled ads from the internet giant, Google announced few changes to its advertising policies. The major brands pulled ads because their advertisements came alongside offensive content, like videos promoting anti-Semitism or terrorism or anti-Semitism. In a blog post, the internet giant said it would give its clients more control over where their ads should appear on both the Google Display Network and YouTube.
France’s Havas SA pulls its UK clients ads from Google as well
The announcement came on Friday after the Guardian newspaper and the UK administration pulled ads from YouTube, the video site of Google. This compelled the video streaming company to manage content on its platform in a better way. Further on Friday, France’s Havas SA pulled the ads of its UK clients from both YouTube and Google after it did not get any assurance from the search giant that the ads would not appear alongside offensive videos or other offensive content.
Havas SA is the sixth-largest advertising and marketing company across the world and hence, its decision to pull ads from the search giant is really concerning and a big deal for Google. Havas said in a statement that its UK clients include big names like government-owned British Broadcasting Corp., Hyundai Kia, Royal Mail Plc, Domino’s Pizza, and wireless carrier O2.
Paul Frampton, country manager and chief executive officer for Havas Media Group UK said, “Our position will remain until we are confident in the YouTube platform and Google Display Network’s ability to deliver the standards we and our clients expect.” The parent company Havas said later that it would not take any action outside Britain and said its decision regarding the UK unit is just a “temporary move.”
Google’s UK MD notes Google does many things but doesn’t always get it right
In an email, a Havas spokeswoman wrote that the Havas Group will not be undertaking the same measures on worldwide basis. She said they are working with the tech giant to fix the problems so that they can return to using the internet giant in the UK.
Livemint notes that the ad removal decision came after the investigation by Times of London disclosed that ads from the UK government and several big companies were appearing alongside content from the likes of Steven Anderson and white nationalist David Duke. Duke and Anderson had praised the killing of 49 people in a gay nightclub.
In a blog post, Ronan Harris, the UK managing director of Google, said that the search giant eliminated almost 2 billion offensive ads last year from its platforms and blacklisted over 100,000 publishers from the ad sense program of the ads giant as well. Harris wrote that despite doing all that, they do not always get it right. Further, Harris said that the internet giant has heard from its advertisers clearly that they can offer more robust and simpler ways to stop their ads from showing against controversial content.